Dr. Dunkenstein turns 55 today. Great piece above on him shattering the two backboards. True story: a few years ago when he played on the Sixers, Kyle Korver played quizzo with some friends at the Black Sheep. His team name? Vanilla Thunder. No kidding. Pretty great.
Nickname Week at Philly Sports History is coming to a close, but not before we look back at Darryl Dawkins. “Chocolate Thunder” is the king of pseudonyms. Truly before his time in terms of marketing himself, he personified the term athlete-entertainer. You think Shaq and his nicknames were original? Not even a little. “Double D” was coining nicknames for himself and his dunks while Shaq was still in diapers.
And there’s no doubting that “Sir Slam’s” dunks were deserving of nicknames; the power with which he threw down borders on terrifying. Take a look at the video below:
Here are several of the most memorable nicknames “Dr. Dunkenstein” came up with for his dunks:
- “Your Mama” When the “Master of Disaster” first broke into the league and was practicing with guys like Dr. J., Jellybean Bryant, World B. Free and Doug Collins, he wanted to show everyone he was a player. After his first powerful dunk, he turned to the guy who attempted to play defense and said “Your Mama.” When the rest of the players asked him what the hell he was talking about, he said “That’s my ‘Your Mama’ dunk.”
- “The Heart-Stopper” At 6’11” and 250 lbs., “King Kong” was an imposing presence to say the least. So when he froze defenders in the lane with powerful drives to the hoop, he would call those dunks “Heart-Stoppers” because it looked like they made the defender’s heart stop.
- “The Greyhound Bus” Greyhound Bus described when he would go coast to coast and finish with a dunk.
- “Left-Handed, Spine-Chiller Supreme” Although “Charming Chocolate” was right-handed, he often dunked lefty.
- “Turbo Sexophonic Delight” Makes sense when you consider he was an alien from the planet Lovetron who spent the offseason practicing interplanetary funkmanship.
- “Chocolate Thunder Flyin’, Glass Flyin’, Robizine Cryin’, Parents Cryin’, Babies Cryin’, Glass Still Flyin’, Rump Roasting, Bun Toasting, Thank You Wham Ma’am I Am’ Jam” His first backboard shattering slam. (right)
- “The Chocolate Thunder Ain’t Playin’, Get Out The Wayin’, Backboard Swayin’, Game Delayin’, Super Spike” And his second backboard shattering slam, after which the NBA forever changed to collapsible rims.
Honorable Mention Dunks: “Dunk You Very Much,” “The Rim-Wrecker,” “The Gorilla, “The In Your Face Disgrace,” “If You Ain’t Groovin’ You Best Get Movin’ Dunk.”